Kustannusosakeyhtiö Otava/Otava Publishing Company Ltd. was founded in 1890 by Hannes Gebhard and Eliel Aspelin-Haapkylä to publish Finnish national literature. Now it publish over 500 titles a year; fiction, non-fiction, children books, school books etc. Beautiful, art-nouveau Otava headquarters building in central Helsinki, designed by Karl Lindahl and Walter Thomé was built in 1905. In the darkest night-time you can also see this blue neonlight shining like a stars over Uudenmaankatu…
This is one of my favorite neonsigns in Helsinki. Lasipalatsi, ”The Glass Palace” is a functionalist office building designed in the 1930s, located at Mannerheimintie 22, Kamppi district of Helsinki. An earlier building at the same location was the Turku barracks, which was destroyed in the Finnish Civil War in 1918. Lasipalatsi, designed by three young architects Viljo Revell, Heimo Riihimäki and Niilo Kokko was built on the same site in 1936. Bio Rex is one of the oldest movie theaters in Finland.
This classic neon light beauty from 50´s belongs to the small shop which sells dresses and lingerie for women. It´s located at Fredrikinkatu 20, Kamppi area.
Renaissance Revival or Neo-Renaissance architecture is an designation that covers many 19th century architectural revival styles which were neither Grecian nor Gothic but drew inspiration from a wide range of Italian architectural modes. This beautiful house at Kalevankatu 15, designed by Grahn Hedman & Wasatjerna 1898 represents a neo-renaissance architecture at its best..
The traditional food market hall of Hietalahti was opened in 1903. The market hall, with its 116 wooden shops, was designed by architect Selim A. Lindqvist, who was one of the most famous Finnish architect of that time. You can find these beautiful Kauppahalli – Saluhall ”jugendstil” signs made of concrete above the entrances.
Architect Jalmari Peltonen was a very productive and designed to Helsinki a total of 40 apartment buildings, the majority of these to Töölö. This straight-line, functionalist house at Kamppi area was built in 1928. On the front of the house still has the original glass signage with classic serif typography.
Theodor Höijer was a leading Finnish architect. His productions are mainly represented by Neo-Renaissance style and are located largely in Helsinki. He designed the city of dozens of houses and industrial buildings, many of them torn down 1950-1960’s. One of the beautiful preserved building located at Eerikinkatu 4 and this photo shows detail of the decorative house number.