The Central Railway Station in Helsinki is the most significant national romantic styled building in Finland. It was designed by Eliel Saarinen in 1909 and the station was opened in 1919. It is mostly clad in Finnish granite, and its distinguishing features are its clock tower and the two pairs of statues holding the spherical lamps on either side of the main entrance. These “Lyhdynkantajat” statues were designed in 1914 by sculptor Emil Wikström. The railway station has been renovated occasionally. In the 1960s the underground Asematunneli tunnel was built and looks like the neon signs are from that period, too.